[oi-dev] atge driver issue

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 1 19:57:36 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 06:27:55PM +0200, Carsten Grzemba via oi-dev wrote:

>    I use the atge driver on my laptop with AR8151V2 chip. There I have the
>    problem if the cable disconnects 10 sec later I get a L1C error and as
>    a result it seems that the upper layer assumes that the link is up with
>    10MB half duplex.
[...]
>    But it seems there is very less similarity of the illumos driver with
>    the BSD or Linux driver.
>
>    So I am wondering which source was the blue print for the Illumos atge
>    driver?

I started with the Freebsd alc driver, and wound up with a new version
of the illumos atge driver.  This was in 2010.  Much has changed since
then.  At the time, I tested the AR8132 on my ASUS laptop.  Masayuki
Murayama tested the AR8131 on his laptop.  This was my first driver.
I had a great deal of help from other people.  There was one report in
2012 of a driver failure with AR8151 v2.0 hardware.