[oi-dev] I've given up on gnome-doc-utils

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Jul 5 22:11:21 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] I've given up on gnome-doc-utils, Tim Mooney via...:

> In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] I've given up on gnome-doc-utils, Andreas...:
>
>> Am 05.07.21 um 23:20 schrieb Gary Mills:
>>> In an attempt to eliminate dependancies on python-27, I came
>>> eventually to the gnome-doc-utils package.  Reluctantly, I had to give
>>> up my attempt.  The product was last updated in 2012 and has no
>>> python-3 support.  Most of the work is conversion of the python code
>>> from 2 to 3, using the python bindings for libxml2.  Somebody who
>>> knows more about python than I do may be able to accomplish this.  The
>>> alternative is to abandon the package and perhaps any packages that
>>> require this one.  I'm moving on to other packages.
>>>
>> The question is with what it has been replaced upstream. Maybe we should
>> follow...
>
> It appears to be completely deprecated (not replaced by something else),
> but some packages have not dropped it for their documentation.

Actually, Jason's email appears to find the most likely successor; the
threads that I looked at related to g-d-u just mentioned dropping it, not
converting to yelp-tools.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)