[oi-dev] Something wrong with dependancies

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Jul 11 15:50:53 UTC 2021

On 7/10/21 4:59 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> I'm trying to build a library that uses only python-3.9 .  For its
> tests, it requires pytest-3.9 .  I noticed that OI has the pytest-39
> package, and it includes that executable.  However, when I tried to
> install that package, I got 30 packages.  What's going on?  Something
> must be broken with dependancies to get that many packages.  Here's a
> transcript of what I got:

>        library/python/py
>          None -> 1.8.2-2020.0.1.0
>        library/python/py-27
>          None -> 1.8.2-2020.0.1.0
>        library/python/py-35
>          None -> 1.8.2-2020.0.1.0
>        library/python/py-37
>          None -> 1.8.2-2020.0.1.0
>        library/python/py-39
>          None -> 1.8.2-2020.0.1.0

A lot of it comes from the python package setup assuming that if you want
a module like this, you want it installed for all the versions of Python
you have, instead of just giving you the module for one version and then
having things break when whatever else depends on it moves to a later version.

This may not be what you wanted, but would be a difference of opinion, not
a bug.

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc