[oi-dev] Numpy - upgrade for Python 3.X

Nona Hansel nona.h at seznam.cz
Fri Jul 16 12:07:12 UTC 2021

Hello,

I'm thinking about updating numpy since we have it just for Python 2.7. But
before doing any changes, I wanna consult some things for having a clearer
view of what to do.

First, when I run

pkg search -H -r -o pkg.name 'depend:require:library/python/numpy'

I get:

library/python-2/numpy

which tells me that there are no packages with numpy as a dependency, right?

Second, the newest version of numpy https://github.com/numpy/numpy/releases
supports Python 3.7. and 3.9. Is that okay? I believe it is because Python
3.5. doesn't have numpy today anyway and according to this web https://
endoflife.date/python security support for Python 3.5. has ended 10 months
ago.

I assume I can start working on it on Monday but it won't be finished any
time soon - the Makefile looks very complicated to me.

Thank you for your insights. Any tips about this upgrade would be much
appreciated.

Best regards,

Nona