[oi-dev] dlc-origin (rsync) EOL?

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Fri Jul 30 17:58:48 UTC 2021

On 2021-07-30 09:05, Marcel Telka wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 12:02:13PM -0300, Till Wegmueller wrote:
>> I assume better means it can detect create a diff faster?
>
> No, this is not about the speed (primarily).  Just about the quality of
> data published via the protocol.  For example, with rsync I can be sure
> that timestamps are okay, for example.  With ftp it usually works too,
> but http is not so good and there is possibility that I might end up
> re-downloading the same content again and again just because http might
> fail to advertise mtime change (or no change, to be precise).
I can't help but add, that rsync is far more efficient overall. As it is
only interested in differences (as already mentioned). Which results in
less bytes transferred on both sides. Are the OI servers paying for bytes
transferred (have a cap/limit)? This will also leave more bandwidth available
for all.
OK I don't run or manage the OI servers. But couldn't help myself. ;-)

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX