[oi-dev] PR #184: Support for epub and pandoc version problems

benn benny.lyons at gmx.net
Wed Jun 2 21:19:27 UTC 2021

Hi,
I've added a Pull Request, 'Add support for epub and different pandoc versions #184',
 which resolves a number of problems with the current makepdf.sh script.

I thought support for epub generation had been added, but this was only done locally
for my own use. I tried to add this feature with the most recent changes to
makepdf.sh, but discovered that pdf generation was broken on my system.

After some investigation, I discovered that pandoc was the culprit. The recent update
to makepdf.sh  caused pandoc to fail on my system because the version of pandoc that
I was using did not support the changes to makepdf.sh.

pandoc introduced new features in 2.3.0, and the latest Debian version of pandoc did
not support these features, which caused the failure. The PR contains a makepdf.sh
that should work with pandoc versions prior to 2.3.0 and later versions; although the
 results of the pdf created will be different. We do not have a pandoc package for OI
which would ease the problem.  However, pandoc is big and it might not be trivial to
create such a package for OI.

The generation of the epub format of the manuals provided, in the past, output that
was sufficient for me to proof read. Alas with the newer versions of pandoc I have
not been able to review this.

The quality of the pdf produced needs to be improved and the quality of epub has
still to be examined.

Looks like the build for this PR is failing, but the failure appears to arise from
elsewhere.

Benny