[oi-dev] DDU HCL submission - Dell Precision 3640 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100 CPU

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Thu Jun 24 18:28:25 UTC 2021

Am 24.06.21 um 20:14 schrieb stes at PANDORA.BE:
> Last update on
>
> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Servers+and+Workstations
>
> says: last modified by Michal Nowak on May 13, 2018
>
> That's from 2018, there is a need to update the Hardware Compatibility Guide !!
>
> The HCL seems to have moved to http://docs.openindiana.org/community-hcl/systems/
>
> OpenIndiana 2020.04 and 2021.04 seems to install and work on the Dell Precision 3640 workstation.
>
> See screenshot oi-dell-precision-3640 in attach.
>
> The text install 2020.04 worked fine (UEFI boot since this is a EFI system),
> and installation went fine on a SATA boot disk from physical CD-ROM.
>
> I didn't try a SSD boot disk.
>
> Audio seems to work fine as well
> (onboard audio Comet Lake PCH cAWS or Nvidia, not sure 2 cards are listed in DDU)
>
> Video (MATE lightdm as well) on NVidia as well - but not on the onboard Intel UHD 630.
>
> The intel onboard UHD 630 card works in vgatext for booting multi-user or console.
>
> On the Nvidia card, openindiana MATE runs fine in X11 with the nvidia driver and config/settings tool.
>
> I ran diagnostics/ddu and it finds a few unknown devices for which it installed one package
>
>       Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Termal Controller
>
> ddu installed a driver for the above
>
> Should I worry about the remaining 4 unknown devices ?
>
>      Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #0
>      Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH Serial IO I2C Controller #1
>      Intel Corporation Comet Lake HECI Controller
>      Intel Corporation Comet Lake PCH SPI Controller
>
> I'm unable to submit an entry for this system.
>
> When I click Submit I get : " OpenIndiana HCL server is not active. "
>
> Also the DDU is not recognizing the i3-10100 CPU.  It just prints CPU : 1X
> instead of something like 1X Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10100 CPU
>
> However psrinfo and prtdiag seem ok and the system seems to run fine.
>
> Is the feedback address hcl-feedback at openindiana.org still active ?
>
> Possibly this system could be added to the OpenIndiana HCL as a new submission,
> or I'll try to see whether I can add it to the docs ...
>
> Regards,
> David Stes

The wiki isn't updated for quite some time. The former documentation
team started efforts to create new documentation located under
docs.openindiana.org.
Part of their work was to move/recreate wiki contents. Alas the old team
vanished a few years ago (for me it happened like overnight).
We had a few volunteers popping up in the mailing list and some work has
been started to update the tool chain. I haven't seen much new contents,
though.
So, I would appreciate if more people get involved into updating and
enhancing the documentation.

Regards,
Andreas