[oi-dev] Is it possible for OpenIndiana and DilOS to cooperate together?

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Wed Mar 24 19:45:50 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-24 05:59, cretin1997 via oi-dev wrote:
> I'm honest, I liked DilOS more than OpenIndiana. But OI is the only working
> graphical Illumos and I have no other choices.
>
> DilOS wanted to support graphical environment, too. I asked Igor about that
> and he
> gave me the milestones. The day DilOS will have a desktop is too far in the
> future.
>
> So what about the possibility of cooperating between two projects? DilOS
> will give
> OpenIndiana a much better base and OpenIndiana could help a graphical DilOS
> possible.

> Imagine, DilOS is Debian and OpenIndiana is Ubuntu. Both sides will win,
> and the users will win, too.
Sort of.
I'm not keen on the idea of ZoL (ZFSonLinux) the OI version is better. :-)
Package management; while I suppose it's easy to use a DEB package manager,
and import a bunch of Linux based applications. In the short run, it'd be a
LOT
of work, and a seemingly good amount of Linux shims for OI to introduce. Is
this
the best plan for the long run?
OTOH if their graphics stack is better/more polished. Hijacking for OI seems
tempting. :-)

Mind you these are *my* opinions, and may, or may not be shared by others.
:-)

--Chris

> Please let me know what the two sides think about this. Sorry Igor, I know I
> should ask you first but I posted there anyway and waiting for the answers
> from
> both of you.
>

> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX