[oi-dev] Fw: Re: Is it possible for OpenIndiana and DilOS to cooperate together?

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Thu Mar 25 04:49:10 UTC 2021

As I know, DilOS doesn't introduce any new Linux shims. They just grab Debian's packages sources, patch it to build on their OS and packaged it. Alongside with that, DilOS also provided many of it own packages, too. It's not a Debian/kIllumos. It uses Debian packaging technology and Debian packages sources to minimize the maintenance effort. And no, it doesn't have a superior graphics stack than OI. OI's graphics stack is the best on the Illumos world. DilOS's graphics stack is almost non-existent. I can't even install the xorg package because of umet dependencies!

DilOS seems to use the same framework as OI to build packages, but they hacked it to produce DEB packages instead of IPS packages. Integrating OI userland into it seems to not as difficult as you think.

OI doesn't have to maintain any Linux shims like that said. On a plain DilOS system, one could add the APT repo of OI, then after that:

apt update && apt install mate-install

Done. We will have a working graphical environment on DilOS, based on OI's works.

I can't think of any problems when rebasing OI on DilOS at all. If OI want to be "Hipster" it could track the unstable or testing branch of DilOS, it's almost as rolling release as the current Hipster.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.