[oi-dev] Could I reuse the Linux crt headers for OpenIndiana?

cretin1997 cretin1997 at protonmail.com
Thu Mar 25 05:03:15 UTC 2021

The current crt headers of FreeBASIC is exclusively based on Linux: https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/tree/master/inc/crt

In order to build GTK based FreeBASIC application, one has to have a working crt headers set, too. There is no such thing for OpenIndiana. I and other FreeBASIC users decided to just copy the Linux crt headers and modify them to use with OpenIndiana. The result is we could build the application successfully but unfortunately this application can't run. I think there could be two potential problems:

First, it could be my removing of --export-dynamic caused the FreeBASIC compiler to generate a not working shared library.

Second, it could be the Linux crt headers are incompatible with OpenIndiana, the C standard functions are the same but the platform specific details (#define bla bla) are different, so the application could be compiled, but it used the wrong details so it can't run.

Please note that the application could be launched, but it just sit there idle and doesn't print any output on the terminal. I have to use Ctrl+C to cancel it.

FreeBASIC forum thread for more details:

https://www.freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27284&start=240

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.