[oi-dev] Latest ksh93 changes in illumos-gate have impacts on REQUIRED_PACKAGES

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 27 20:44:24 UTC 2021

Am 27.03.21 um 19:48 schrieb stes at PANDORA.BE:
> The reason why I wrote "top priority" is because in my understanding osnet-incorporation
> basically is kernel, network stack, filesystems, and device drivers, and
> basic userland libraries and applications such as Bourne / Korn shell.
osnet-incorporation is intentionally frozen on the build server.
After every successfull jenkins run (either oi-userland or illumos-gate)
the build server
will be automatically update packages on it if necessary.
In order to prohibit automatic updates of osnet (and automatic reboots)
it is frozen.
Of course from time to time it also needs to be updated but I do that
only if the actual version
is tested on other systems by me. Typically I do that once a week.

> So more than any programming language or application or user level library, I would think the above needs updating.
>
> However I do not have experience with the implications and overall OpenIndiana release engineering.
I learned it the hard way when nobody else was left who was able and
willing to do it.

> So I must add that if an update would somehow break OpenIndiana features such as the MATE desktop,
> the OpenIndiana desktop, then osnet-incorporation cannot be updated,
> and then in that case OpenIndiana is stuck with the 'frozen' osnet-incorporation.
We build illumos-gate nightly. If any changes have been merged into
illumos-gate you will get it
the next day when you run "pkg update" on your systems. Only the build
server is protected by
freezing osnet-incorporation. Of course, you can do the same but you
should know the implications...

Andreas