[oi-dev] OI Foundation

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Fri May 28 04:42:46 UTC 2021

Gerard Arthus wrote:
> Should it be Illumos or Open Indiana; I guess the name has to be decided
> upon first .
>
> Gerry
>
> Gerard Arthus
> 409 Lowell Avenue East
> Mishawaka, Indiana
> United States
> 46545
> Cell - 574-302-7731
> Home - 574-520-1337 <tel:574-217-8726>
>
> Instructor ITT-Tech - Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, and Computer
> Engineering.
>

> On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 11:54 PM Joshua M. Clulow via oi-dev
> <oi-dev at openindiana.org <mailto:oi-dev at openindiana.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 20:50, Gerard Arthus <garthus801 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:garthus801 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > I would actually be for Open Solaris and would prefer to see
>     Solaris associated with the branding. What do others think?
>
>     Solaris is a trademark or registered trademark of Oracle and/or its
>     affiliates in the United States and other countries.
>
>     illumos and Solaris diverged a decade ago; we're a different operating
>     system now.  Using "Solaris" anywhere near the software will only
>     confuse people into thinking it's compatible with Oracle Solaris in
>     some way, which it is not.
>

>     Cheers.
>
>     --
>     Joshua M. Clulow
>     http://blog.sysmgr.org

Just brainstorming here:
How about just Indiana or jONEs(hehe, from Sun ONE and Indiana Jones) or
OpenSun or SunOp(as in dawn, but referring to Operating system) or
SolsticeOS(yup, Sun actually had Solstice Backup and other stuff, but
AFAIK not an OS with that name).

I've actually always thought that OpenIndiana was a good name, but way
too long.

/tony

--
Tony Albers - Systems Architect - IT Development Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark