[oi-dev] OI Foundation

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Fri May 28 09:08:37 UTC 2021

Tony Brian Albers writes:
> Gerard Arthus wrote:
> > Should it be Illumos or Open Indiana; I guess the name has to be decided
> > upon first .

[...]
> Just brainstorming here:
> How about just Indiana or jONEs(hehe, from Sun ONE and Indiana Jones) or
> OpenSun or SunOp(as in dawn, but referring to Operating system) or
> SolsticeOS(yup, Sun actually had Solstice Backup and other stuff, but
> AFAIK not an OS with that name).
>
> I've actually always thought that OpenIndiana was a good name, but way
> too long.

I appreciate that people are thinking about the future of OpenIndiana.
However, I believe that there are other priorities than renaming the
project.  Don't underestimate the effort:  Securing new domains,
changing the documentation, settting up new internet presences, etc.

There's nothing really wrong with "OpenIndiana powered by illumos".

Let's focus on finding people to contribute.  Having some funds to give
to individuals working on a specific task would be great, and I have
some thoughts about that.  But having more committed dev is paramount.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"