[oi-dev] Does OI use gtk+ or gtk+3, or both?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Nov 8 02:19:27 UTC 2021

On 11/7/21 3:43 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> I've been working my way through Aurlien Larcher's list of all OI
> packages that are dependent on Python 2.7, upgrading as I went.
> Apparently Python 3.5 is to be deprecated as well.

Python upstream ended 3.5 support a year ago:
https://devguide.python.org/devcycle/#end-of-life-branches

Currently supported branches are listed at:
https://devguide.python.org/#status-of-python-branches

> Now, I've come to "nmap".  That package indeed depends on python 2.7

That's an upstream limitation:
https://github.com/nmap/nmap/issues/1176
https://github.com/nmap/nmap/pulls?q=is%3Apr+python3+is%3Aopen

> but also on
> two other python libraries: pygobject-27 and pygtk2-27 .  Both of
> those libraries do not have python 3.7 or 3.9 versions.

PyGObject 3.x definitely supports Python 3 - we ship that in Solaris:
https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/tree/master/components/gnome/pygobject3

Pygtk2 does not - it's limited to the deprecated gtk2 and obsolete Python 2,
and as you discovered, the replacement path for it is PyGObject.

> As far as I can tell, OI uses both gtk+ and gtk+3 libraries.  Is this
> correct?

Not everything has finished porting from GTK+2 to GTK+3 yet, and now
the GTK maintainers have released GTK+4 and moved GTK+3 to the deprecated
(but not yet totally unsupported) list alongside GTK+2.

	-alan-