[oi-dev] Does OI use gtk+ or gtk+3, or both?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 7 23:43:31 UTC 2021

I've been working my way through Aurlien Larcher's list of all OI
packages that are dependent on Python 2.7, upgrading as I went.
Apparently Python 3.5 is to be deprecated as well.  Now, I've come
to "nmap".  That package indeed depends on python 2.7 but also on
two other python libraries: pygobject-27 and pygtk2-27 .  Both of
those libraries do not have python 3.7 or 3.9 versions.

In fact, the web page for the new version of "pygtk2" says "For GTK+ 3
or Python 3 use PyGObject instead".  I see that the OI source has two
names for this package: pygobject and pygobject-3 .  Both packages are
obsolete, according to Aurlien's criteria above.  The latest version
of pygobject will require yet another new name, at least for the short
term.  What should this be?  Note that the version major number is
still 3, but that number has already been used.

As far as I can tell, OI uses both gtk+ and gtk+3 libraries.  Is this
correct?  As well, OI has two sets of python bindings: pygtk2 for
gtk+, and pygobject for gtk+3 .  Am I correct here too?  I notice that
only pygobject-27 is installed on my system now.  Will we switch to a
a new binding sometime?