[oi-dev] Logitech C930e

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Nov 11 13:24:17 UTC 2021

Presumably it is a lot of work to get it working ...

I think this, because based on my attempt to attach a C930e,
I discovered in the Illumos database an old request

https://www.illumos.org/issues/2268

from a long time ago to have "full V4L2 stack to support TV cards".

This is issue is flagged as: Difficulty:Hard

Basically there is no libv4l2 (no full V4L2 stack) for OpenIndiana and the BSD alternative that Mehmet Erol Sanliturk pointed out, is probably also a lot of work.

Also it is not clear to me whether user level applications such as "ffmpeg" support the BSD webcamd.

An effort to port webcamd to OpenIndiana only makes sense if programs such as "ffmpeg" would support webcamd, I suppose.

However the good news or positive news is that Squeak has a CameraPlugin which only simply opens /dev/video0 and does not use libv4l2.  This plugin compiles but does not seem to work for me.

My understanding is that Squeak just like older applications like Ekiga (communication) open /dev/video* devices directly without the "stack" of libv4l2 on top of /dev/video.

This can be ported to OpenIndiana but maybe only supports a very limited set of hardware.

In any case I've submitted a PR for oi-docs to update the documentation and write that I tried attaching the C930e and that as far as I can see, it does NOT work.

This in itself is not a big issue to me, I'm impressed in general by the quality of OpenIndiana which does not have to be underestimated compared to other UNIX variants.

Regards,
David Stes