[oi-dev] libxml2 mapfile and symbol removal

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sun Nov 14 04:25:46 UTC 2021

All-

I'm investigating how difficult it might be to update libxml2 and libxslt
to current latest versions.

Unfortunately, libxml2 removed a bunch of formerly public symbols at
version 2.9.10:

 	# emptyExp; removed in 2.9.10
 	# forbiddenExp; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpCtxtNbCons; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpCtxtNbNodes; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpDump; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpExpDerive; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpFreeCtxt; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpFree; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpGetLanguage; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpGetStart; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpIsNillable; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpMaxToken; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpNewAtom; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpNewCtxt; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpNewOr; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpNewRange; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpNewSeq; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpParse; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpRef; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpStringDerive; removed in 2.9.10
 	# xmlExpSubsume; removed in 2.9.10

At a minimum, that likely means that nearly everything that depends
upon libxml2 will need a rebuild.

My question is about what should be done to the mapfile we use with
libxml2.  Most of these symbols are marked "global" at

 	SYMBOL_VERSION SUNW_1.6 {

Do I just comment them out of that block, or is there some other better
way to handle these now-removed symbols?

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)