[oi-dev] packaging scripts that use python3

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Nov 8 20:57:48 UTC 2021

All-

I'm trying to find what the best practices are for packaging scripts
that use python 3.

In a couple of cases I've run into recently, configure or meson have
found /usr/bin/python3 and used that in the sh-bang in the script, only
to have the 'publish' target fail because ips.mk wants a specific version.

What's the right thing to do here?  Just pick a specific python version
(like python3.9) and use that in the sh-bang?  If so, which version?

Are there settings that should be present in the Makefile that would help
"abstract" what the preferred python version is?  I know there's
$(PYTHON), but that still points to 2.7.  I'm just wondering if there's
something like PYTHON3_PREFERRED or similar, so that different components
don't have different versions of python 3 hardcoded.

Thanks,

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)