[oi-dev] Does OI use gtk+ or gtk+3, or both?

Andreas Wacknitz a.wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Nov 14 08:24:50 UTC 2021

Am 11/8/21 um 00:43 schrieb Gary Mills:
> I've been working my way through Aurlien Larcher's list of all OI
> packages that are dependent on Python 2.7, upgrading as I went.
> Apparently Python 3.5 is to be deprecated as well.  Now, I've come
Our Python 3.5 is the last one that has 32-bit support. If we drop it,
we'll need to drop many (if not all) 32-bit binaries.

> to "nmap".  That package indeed depends on python 2.7 but also on
> two other python libraries: pygobject-27 and pygtk2-27 .  Both of
> those libraries do not have python 3.7 or 3.9 versions.
>
> In fact, the web page for the new version of "pygtk2" says "For GTK+ 3
> or Python 3 use PyGObject instead".  I see that the OI source has two
> names for this package: pygobject and pygobject-3 .  Both packages are
> obsolete, according to Aurlien's criteria above.  The latest version
> of pygobject will require yet another new name, at least for the short
> term.  What should this be?  Note that the version major number is
> still 3, but that number has already been used.
>
> As far as I can tell, OI uses both gtk+ and gtk+3 libraries.  Is this
> correct?  As well, OI has two sets of python bindings: pygtk2 for
> gtk+, and pygobject for gtk+3 .  Am I correct here too?  I notice that
> only pygobject-27 is installed on my system now.  Will we switch to a
> a new binding sometime?

The use of gtk+ and gtk+3 is probably because of pragmatism and history.
We should discuss in what direction we want OI to move regarding its
desktop environment,
considering the number of helping hands (in my opinion a lower single
digit number).

Andreas