[oi-dev] Does OI use gtk+ or gtk+3, or both?

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sun Nov 14 17:18:59 UTC 2021

----- Op 14 nov 2021 om 9:24 schreef Andreas Wacknitz a.wacknitz at gmx.de:

> Am 11/8/21 um 00:43 schrieb Gary Mills:

>> As far as I can tell, OI uses both gtk+ and gtk+3 libraries.  Is this
>> correct?  As well, OI has two sets of python bindings: pygtk2 for
>> gtk+, and pygobject for gtk+3 .  Am I correct here too?  I notice that
>> only pygobject-27 is installed on my system now.  Will we switch to a
>> a new binding sometime?
>>

> The use of gtk+ and gtk+3 is probably because of pragmatism and history.
> We should discuss in what direction we want OI to move regarding its
> desktop environment,
> considering the number of helping hands (in my opinion a lower single
> digit number).
>
> Andreas

The most realistic - but even then very hard and a lot of work I guess -
is to keep following the MATE desktop and integrate MATE updates.

https://mate-desktop.org/

But I think that for application software like Squeak, which works on OpenIndiana,
GTK+ is sufficient.  This does not depend on GTK+3.

In fact compiling on GTK+3 GNOME 3 is somewhat harder since application software,
like Squeak, which is an old package, follows the changes in GTK in a slow way.

However the updates that were done the last year like the Cairo update was fine,
and Squeak depends on this (in a formal IPS dependency way)

depend fmri=pkg:/library/desktop/cairo at 1.16.0-2020.0.1.1 type=require
depend fmri=pkg:/library/desktop/pango at 1.48.10-2020.0.1.0 type=require
depend fmri=pkg:/library/glib2 at 2.66.8-2020.0.1.0 type=require

Regards,
David Stes