[oi-dev] what target creates $(WS_TOP)/archives ?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sat Oct 23 23:06:37 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] what target creates $(WS_TOP)/archives ?,...:

> Am 23.10.21 um 10:17 schrieb Tim Mooney via oi-dev:
>>
>> All-
>>
>> On a freshly-cloned oi-userland, which target is responsible for creating
>> $(WS_TOP)/archives ?  I would have expected 'setup' or 'env-prep' to
>> do it, but that doesn't seem to be it.  'download' within a component
>> directory also isn't doing it (and is failing, because $(WS_TOP_/archives
>> is missing).
>>
>> Tim
> Hi,
>
> I don't think there is a special tool for creating $(WS_TOP)/archives.
> It's just the default if you don't set a path by means of eg.
> USERLAND_ARCHIVES=/projects/OI/source-archives
> What you simply need to do if you want to stick with the default is to
> create the folder manually.

Thanks Andreas.

That's a change in behavior from previous, which is fine, but it's also
not mentioned in the userland docs.

I made some changes to the userland docs to explain it and tried to
push to my repo and open a PR, but I also discovered that since the last
time I did a 'git push' to github, they've removed the ability to use
passwords.

Github's docs all say to use a personal authentication token with GCM, but
GCM is built on .NET, so I assume it's not an option for OI?

Are the people that are committing to oi-userland all using ssh keys for
pushing to git?  If the answer to that question is yes, then does the
userland documentation also need to be updated to reflect that reality?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm trying to get a handle on what a casual
contributor is supposed to do, so that the userland documentation can be
updated to reflect that.

I understand github's reasoning for getting rid of password push access,
but for OI in particular, it presents an additional barrier to entry for
the casual contributor.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)