[oi-dev] gstreamer1 and OpenGL/EGL

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Oct 27 22:10:51 UTC 2021

In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] gstreamer1 and OpenGL/EGL, Gary Mills said (at...:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 02:44:25PM -0500, Tim Mooney via oi-dev wrote:
>>
>> I'm working my way through updating the gstreamer1 components to the
>> latest version (1.16.2 -> 1.18.5).  They've switched from autoconf to
>> meson, so the biggest hurdle has been converting the Makefile to use
>> the new configuration options.
>
> Meson is somewhat broken, except when Unix=Linux.  It also does not
> work well for 32 and 64-bit builds.  One solution is to omit the
> 32-bit build.  If it's really needed, you must find another solution.

I've been able to get the current meson in OI to do both 32 and 64 bit
builds without any real trouble.  Most of the 32 & 64 work that Aurélien
and Michal had previously done for these packages still applies and has
continued to work with meson & ninja. The issue for this one package starts
when it calls out to qmake, for Qt.  That's its own separate build system.

I'm sure that if I knew more about Qt and qmake I could set a combination
of PATH.32, PATH.64, CFLAGS.32, CFLAGS.64 and probably additional settings
to eventually get qmake to behave.  I don't think it's worth doing in this
case though; having the base set of gstreamer1 plugins depend upon Qt5
for some tiny bit of extra functionality isn't worth it.

I don't personally think meson is any real improvement over autotools,
but it's supplanted autotools in most of the GNOME stuff so I'm trying to
learn it well enough to get by.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)