[oi-dev] Vagrantfile for Cuis Smalltalk on OpenIndiana

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sun Sep 19 14:36:07 UTC 2021

The availability of an OpenIndiana image for Vagrant (a vagrant "box") is really useful.

http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#vagrant

The doc there says "Vagrant is officially available for Mac OS X, Windows and Linux." and Vagrant can also be used on OpenIndiana (compiled from source), it works.

I've created a small Vagrantfile using the Vagrant "box" to deploy Cuis Smalltalk.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cuisonopenindiana/

Initially I thought it could perhaps be a limitation that there is only a CLI (commandline) minimal box,
not a desktop in the vagrant cloud, however thanks to pkg(5) IPS (Image Package System),
it turns out it's possible to quickly add only the minimal set of X11 libraries without a full desktop.

The set of required packages is computed by IPS pkg(5) from the dependencies of cog-spur (the packaged Smalltalk VM that runs the Smalltalk image).

The vagrant box that I've used is the one from 202109 :

$ vagrant box list
openindiana/hipster (202109)

You can ssh into the OpenIndiana VM and use X11 port forwarding:

$ vagrant ssh
The illumos Project     illumos-77161fd3d7      September 2021
vagrant at openindiana:~$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

vagrant at openindiana:~/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev$ squeak Cuis5.0-4834.image

Thanks to the dependencies of the Cuis VM (cog-spur) the installer only installs about 22 packages on top of the OpenIndiana box (CLI) and it seems it installs all of the required X11 libraries so that it's then possible to run a GUI (graphical userinterface) Cuis Smalltalk system and forward the X11 display to the host system.

Also I think the Vagrantfile can be deployed on Linux and perhaps other OS as well (running an OpenIndiana VM).

Once the VM is created a "pkg update" will then update the binaries / software to the latest versions.

Regards
David Stes