[oi-dev] questions about updating security/pinentry

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Sep 27 03:01:38 UTC 2021

All-

There's a recent release of the security/pinentry package, that's used by
components of gnupg.  There's nothing security related or pressing, but
I would like to package the updated version for OI.  I know the workflow
for the update, but I have a couple of questions about options within
the package itself.

The current package disables building the pinentry backends for QT and
FLTK, and I wouldn't change that.

There's an optional pinentry-tty that I would like to enable and include,
though.  It's not built by default, but does build just fine on OI.  It
doesn't introduce any addition package dependencies.

There's also a pinentry-gnome3 that will build on current OI.  Should that
be packaged too, or disabled like the pinentry-qt?  This one very likely
does introduce additional library dependencies for security/pinentry.

Finally, the security/pinentry uses symlinks to default /usr/bin/pinentry
to the pinentry-gtk2 backend.  Is there a convenient method with IPS to
make that selectable by the sysadmin installing the system?  Something
similar to how the system-default version of python or perl can be
changed.

Thanks,

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)