[oi-dev] Problems with Samba 4 connecting to Microsoft AD on writing files

Klaus Elsbernd Klaus.Elsbernd at posteo.de
Wed Jun 15 12:39:00 UTC 2022

Hello out there,

We run several OpenIndiana server using either kernel-smb or samba 4 smb
to connect to an Microsoft AD.

Samba 4 is more flexible, or better customizable than kernel-smb, so we
are running both since years without major problems.

But when we updated to the current patchlevel of OpenIndiana (5.11
illumos-8130f8e19e) we got a lot of problems, which we could solve only
partly. Of course, Windows AD is updated too.

We're using automount to access home and project folders via NFS (from
the same machine, or from other OpenIndiana server).

For some auto_home folders, we are able to add additional folders and
touch files in them. But when we try to write into those files via
Samba, write seems to be not possible. Messages note sometimes "file
system full". Which is not correct.

The users logins are authenticated to AD with ldap-client. Which works
as expected (ok, we restart the client daily).

First we thought, that ACL are the problem, but we deactivated them in
the homes shared folder.

Interestingly, auto_project (defined in auto_master) folders don't have
these problems. (As far, as we know)

Any ideas?

Klaus