[oi-dev] problems publishing rust

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 18 17:31:23 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 03:49:33PM +0200, Friedrich Kink via oi-dev wrote:

> I try to prepare new rustc package with current version 1.61.0. So far
> building and installing is already working. But publishing respectively make
> REQUIRED_PACKAGES immediately bails out with the following error message:
[...]
> truss shows that make REQUIRED_PACKAGE really tries to open the file
> /usr/share/src/myoi-userland/components/developer/rust/RESOLVE_DEPS= Any
> idea what goes wrong here? To simplify things I just used sample manifest
> p5m file to exclude home made errors.

First of all, I'm pleased that somebody else is working on rust: I
thought I was the only one.

I anticipated that the upgrade would be difficult, but it's essential
to upgrade any packages that still use clang-90 .  Rust is one of
these.  Consequently, I did the upgrade by stages.  The first stage
was to build and publish the original rust package with no change.
I found I had to make one change: COMPONENT_PRE_CONFIGURE_ACTION
had to copy files, instead of creating symlinks or hard links.  Then,
build and publish were successful

Subsequent stages were to upgrade clang, to upgrade python, and to
convert the Makefile to the new style.  I'm still stuck in the second
stage.  You clearly have gotten further.  I found many things that did
not work, but nothing successful.  The original rust version (1.44.1)
is too old to build with clang-13.  I chose 1.60.0, since it had a
bootstrap archive available from Joyent.  I also found that this
version will not build with the clang compilers.  I had to revert to
gcc for these.  Still, my builds terminated with this error:

    libLLVM-14-rust-1.60.0-stable.so is missing

I don't know how to get past that error.