[oi-dev] Mount of USB stick now succeeds

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 23 18:09:47 UTC 2022

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 07:55:29AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> I don't remember what issue you're discussing here, but we did apply a
> simple fix to Solaris HAL to make hal-storage-mount work with newer glib
> releases a while back:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/alanc/hal/-/commit/8953bfd08e6119368152ded0aa4d355a7609de93
>
> But it looks like that was needed for glib 2.55.0 and later, so may be
> a different issue than you're hitting now.

Hal belongs to illumos, not OI.  However, that may well be the problem.
In any case, the patch won't hurt anything.  The illumos developers
certainly could fix that bug.

> The only other USB device mounting bug I see us fixing in hal since then
> was to workaround an issue in the Studio 12.6 compiler, which you wouldn't
> be using:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/alanc/hal/-/commit/a3e3d718f64be8f9477019d48267001c7b91a4cd

That's exactly the problem, but I would not expect the gcc optimizer
to have exactly the same bug.

> but you can look through the list of our changes at
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/alanc/hal/-/commits/solaris
> to see if there's something I didn't notice that would help you.

Thanks.  Nothing else seems relevant to me.  Others may spot something.