[oi-dev] SUnit and gmake test on OpenIndiana

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Sun Oct 30 05:42:31 UTC 2022

In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] SUnit and gmake test on OpenIndiana,...:

> ----- Op 29 okt 2022 om 13:24 schreef Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com:
>
>> I think the target that does the diff is test-compare, but the test target will
>> call it and do the comparison if a result file is present.
>>
>> Tests are not automatically run on the build server.
>
> I think the test target only calls the code to run 'diff' when using GNU
> autoconf configure style Makefiles.

Many of the "build style" macro files define targets for
'.tested-and-compared' and '.tested'.  You're correct that configure.mk
defaults to having rules for running a test suite, because projects that
use autoconf-generated configure scripts almost universally generate a
Makefile that has a 'test' target, even if it does nothing.

It appears that "squeak" doesn't define any build style currently, so it's
using the base set of targets, with customization and addition directly in
squeak's Makefile.

It's possible you could define a BUILD_STYLE (before the inclusion of
shared-macros.mk, see other components that do this) for something more
specific.  Does squeak use Cmake?  BUILD_STYLE=cmake.  Does it just use
a Makefile, with no configure process?  BUILD_STYLE=justmake.

It all depends on how squeak is built, but using a more specific
BUILD_STYLE may get you the macro set that defines all of the
test-related setup you need.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)