[oi-dev] Who is using WBEM?

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Sat Sep 17 13:18:20 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I noticed we do have following WBEM packages in the OI pkg repo:

system/management/wbem/cimple
system/management/wbem/data-management
system/management/wbem/resource-management
system/management/wbem/sblim-cim-client
system/management/wbem/wbemcli

The system/management/wbem/resource-management package is obsoleted.

The system/management/wbem/data-management package comes from
illumos-gate and there is no immediate problem with it.

The rest three packages (cimple, sblim-cim-client, and wbemcli) are not
fully and properly integrated to OI, because we have no recipe in
oi-userland how to build them.  In addition, cimple is currently not
installable because it requires system/management/cim/pegasus, which we
do not have in our repo.

We need to do something with them because this is not sustainable in
long term.  There are basically two options how to proceed:

1) obsolete cimple, sblim-cim-client, and wbemcli, or
2) add them to oi-userland so we can build them.

Option 1 is simple to do, but will remove some functionality from OI.
Option 2 is harder (I do not know how hard), but will preserve the WBEM
support in OI.  The main questions are:

- Is option 2 worth doing?
- Is somebody using cimple, sblim-cim-client, and/or wbemcli?

If the answer to either question above is "yes", then:

- Who volunteers to do the integration to oi-userland?

I plan to propose obsoletion of cimple, sblim-cim-client, and wbemcli
soon, so please speak up if you are not okay with that.

Thank you.