[oi-dev] Needed two reboots after OI upgrade

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 16 20:21:46 UTC 2022

Yesterday, I upgraded a system on my private network from
hipster-20220226 to hipster-20220915 .  (The last component of the BE
name is the date of OI).  After the reboot, the network did not work,
although the system's network card did get the correct IP address via
DHCP.

When I did a second reboot, the network worked normally, along with
everything else.  I noticed from the messages log that fmd reported an
error after the first reboot.  Specifically, fmd reported that the
svc:/network/ipfilter:default SMF service had failed and been placed
in the maintenance state.  That's a curious thing because that service
is normally disabled.  It stayed disabled on the second reboot.

Here's the SMF log from that first session, showing essentially the
same thing:

    [ Sep 15 19:33:43 Method "start" exited with status 0. ]
    [ Sep 15 19:33:54 Rereading configuration. ]
    [ Sep 15 19:33:54 Executing refresh method ("/lib/svc/method/ipfilter reload"). ]
    [ Sep 15 19:35:55 Method or service exit timed out.  Killing contract 112. ]
    [ Sep 15 19:35:55 Leaving maintenance because disable requested. ]
    [ Sep 15 19:35:55 Disabled. ]

I don't know if this is an OI bug or an illumos bug, but I thought I'd
start here.