[oi-dev] Purpose of PACKAGE_NAMES

Marcel Telka marcel at telka.sk
Fri Sep 29 08:15:42 UTC 2023

Hi,

I noticed there are PACKAGE_NAMES macros set for few components in the
oi-userland git repo.  Namely here:

components/meta-packages/history/Makefile
components/openindiana/gfx-drm/Makefile
components/openindiana/pkg/Makefile
components/openindiana/slim_source/Makefile

They were added in October 2018 by following commits:

c7b5e23fc94
2e3897664af
ac1196a7cb0
a4bb6ce259f

I'm curious what is the purpose of these macros.  As far as I know there
is no known consumer for them.  They looks like some attempt to list
packages generated by a component before we had support for pkg5 files
(introduced in 2020).

If PACKAGE_NAMES are unused then I plan to simply remove them once I
touch those Makefiles.

Thank you.