[OpenIndiana-discuss] Release date: 15th September 2010

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 12:01:32 UTC 2010

Hi Ken,

On 28 Aug 2010, at 11:17, ken mays wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've tested OI_146 for a few days and it is actually better than the OSOL snv_134 release IMHO. Rebranding needed and a few minor bugs, but as good as any official OSOL release I've tested.

That's great news and very good to hear! :-)

> You may want to review the timeframes as a Sept 10th release date provides you a full week of review and testing prior to Oracle's OpenWorld.

The only problem with that date is that I'm away on Saturday 4th so we lose a weekend to work on it. Since most of us have full time day jobs Friday nights and weekends are fairly important.

Perhaps we could consider Sept 13th, if LoSUG aren't willing to be invaded by our announcement.

> Also for review, a Sept 3 release can actually provide a better 'window' of a release using a rebranded OI_146 with the improvements going into a follow up OI-147 release (i.e. if the OI_147 consolidation can't be assembled in time and pretested for 'gotchas'). That way a few journalist/analyst types can grab a copy and provide some reviews before Oracle's OpenWorld - and get some wider exposure of the product.

An unbranded (rather than OI branded) OI_146 would be a good fallback plan if we don't have time to get 147 done. It would be good to get the Intel driver issue sorted as quite a few people have hit that. Also people have reported localisation issues but apparently thats a race condition in some SMF entries in the 146 build, fixed in 147.

> Technically, Solaris 11 Express was already announced as 'coming soon' so that is a done deal. Users know it is forthcoming as the official release from Oracle. Best to use 'the first week of September' as your window of opportunity to show the World the OpenIndiana product and let media go wild for the two weeks of fame before Solaris 11 Express hits the streets (if they announce it there like the iPhone/iPad era).

I don't think there's time to target the first week in september, as there's some other non-technical things that need to be prepared/sorted - slides/presentation/more work on the public facing website/etc.

But it doesn't hurt to try!

Cheers,

Alasdair