[OpenIndiana-discuss] Release date: 15th September 2010

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 10:17:22 UTC 2010

Hello,

I've tested OI_146 for a few days and it is actually better than the OSOL snv_134 release IMHO. Rebranding needed and a few minor bugs, but as good as any official OSOL release I've tested.

You may want to review the timeframes as a Sept 10th release date provides you a full week of review and testing prior to Oracle's OpenWorld.

Also for review, a Sept 3 release can actually provide a better 'window' of a release using a rebranded OI_146 with the improvements going into a follow up OI-147 release (i.e. if the OI_147 consolidation can't be assembled in time and pretested for 'gotchas'). That way a few journalist/analyst types can grab a copy and provide some reviews before Oracle's OpenWorld - and get some wider exposure of the product.

Technically, Solaris 11 Express was already announced as 'coming soon' so that is a done deal. Users know it is forthcoming as the official release from Oracle. Best to use 'the first week of September' as your window of opportunity to show the World the OpenIndiana product and let media go wild for the two weeks of fame before Solaris 11 Express hits the streets (if they announce it there like the iPhone/iPad era).

~ Ken Mays