[OpenIndiana-discuss] The static network that never works

Patrick O'Sullivan irish at insaneirish.com
Wed Dec 1 21:18:14 UTC 2010

svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default

Configure as normal.

On Dec 1, 2010, at 15:58, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

I wonder why it appears to be so difficult under openindiana and its
predecessors to simply and quickly setup a static network.

Virtually all other OS's I've tried, probably 10-12 or so, have had
provision to quickly and easily setup a static network.... and they
worked straigh away.

Installing from oi-b147... once installed the icon on right upper of
gnome window display has dialog for setting up a static network... but
when I follow it, I get a network that even says its connected... but
it goes no where... can't ping anything even on home lan.

Why can't I just simply ifconfig a network out of thin air as in linux
(long as loopback is already done).

ifconfig <device> nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn up

And have that device come up with that IP and work.

I don't understand why it is difficult...

But would also like to see in steps... a tried and true method to get
a static IP.  DHCP is just a pain in the butt in  home lan.

Is there really no simple and quick method... if so, why is that?