[OpenIndiana-discuss] The static network that never works

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Wed Dec 1 22:16:02 UTC 2010

On 12/ 1/10 03:57 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I wonder why it appears to be so difficult under openindiana and its
> predecessors to simply and quickly setup a static network.
>
> Virtually all other OS's I've tried, probably 10-12 or so, have had
> provision to quickly and easily setup a static network.... and they
> worked straigh away.

I usually configure static IP the old fashion way, disabling nwam and
editing files, but after reading your msg I decided to try the
point-and-click way on a new oi-147 machine I'm setting up... it works
for me!  :-)

> Installing from oi-b147... once installed the icon on right upper of
> gnome window display has dialog for setting up a static network... but
> when I follow it, I get a network that even says its connected... but
> it goes no where... can't ping anything even on home lan.

System - Administration - Network... type root password...

Show: Wired (bge0)
IPv4 IP: Manually assigned.
Default route: (gateway IP address)
Add: (IP address + subnet)

Show: Connection Status
Locations... Automatic - Edit
DNS: Manual domain: yourdomainname.com
Servers: 1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5 (DNS servers)
Custom nsswitch file: none, Use Default (/etc/nsswitch.dns)
OK - OK - OK

Network works fine.