[OpenIndiana-discuss] Text Installer creates rpool1

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 08:25:32 UTC 2010

On 02/12/2010 2:11 a.m., Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> I tried the OI Build147 text installer for the first time, and ended
>> up
>> with rpool1 instead of the expected rpool.
>
> As mentioned by Jeppe, destroying the old rpool will be a workaround for this. I guess what happens is that OI boots up, sees the rpool name in use and chooses rpool1.
>
>> The other headache was getting static ip's setup.
>> The "old way" with hostname.intf etc. produced a interface to nowhere.
>
> Disable nwam and switch back to the old way:
>
> # svcadm disable svc:/network/physical:nwam
> # svcadm enable svc:/network/physical:default
>
> The configure hostname.nicname as before

Hi Roy,

That is what my post-install script does, and has worked well until now.
This is my first storage server build with the OpenIndiana release.

The nic was pingable, but the network was not.
dladm showed link, and packet tx and rx counts changed, but no joy
connecting to the lan.
I've never encountered this before after many installs over the last few
years.
After a reinstall, I used ipadm instead, as it is much easier, and
everything was ok.

>> Other than that, it has been stable and performing ok during testing
>> with Intel SSD's for logs and 32x Seagate 2Tb SAS drives.
>
> Out of curiosity, what controllers are you using? And what device naming are you getting?

>The old c0t0d0 or the newer c0tWWNd0? I get the latter on LSI 9211-8i controllers, and there,

> the device order fails to mirror the chassis order, with supermicro chassis (and even with direct attach).

Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8i (LSI 1068) with IT mode firmware 1.30.
Old style naming convention, since it is a single port backplane.
I think the name is more about the multipath driver being present, which
needs to use wwn for dual paths.

The only issue on device order is I don't get the first two slots as the
first two drives on a cold boot, but do from a soft boot or reset.

The first IT mode controller I worked with had persistence enabled after
I changed the firmware to IT.

This may be different for the SAS2.
I'll have the Supermicro equivalent (AOC-USAS2-L8e) to try in about a month.

It may be worth asking LSI about the issue.