[OpenIndiana-discuss] Package buildsystem

Mads Worsøe Duun mads at worsoe.dk
Wed Dec 8 23:01:29 UTC 2010

2010/12/8 Dustin Marquess <dmarquess at gmail.com>

> While personally all of my OpenIndianan/Solaris servers use pkgsrc (it
> rocks!), I personally think effort would be best spent fixing the existing
> packages in pkgsrc upstream.  I know the DragonflyBSD devs do this, that
> way
> they automatically benefit from changes upstream.
>
> -Dustin
>
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Mads Worsøe Duun <mads at worsoe.dk> wrote:
>
> > In the wiki section
> >

> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Addon+Consolidations?focusedCommentId=4883385#comment-4883385it
> > says a BSD-ports buildsystem will be added later to Openindiana. I
> > very
> > much like this idea, but has anyone thought about witch system to use?
> Will
> > it be a system designed from scratch, or will an already existing system
> be
> > ported?
> >
> > Personally I vote for NetBSD's pkgsrc. It already bootstraps and
> partially
> > works on Openindiana. Partially because a lot of packages will not build,
> > because of missing Solaris patches. In the future, a tool that convert
> > packages from pkgsrc to IPS could be developed.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Mads Worsøe Duun

 I know DragonFlyBSD do that, but thats because it's not always so easy to
commit patches to pkgsrc. But your right, patches should be commited
upstream.

But back to the subject, would you prefer a package buildsystem from
scratch, or reuse something like pkgsrc? I just thing it would be waste of
time to create something from scratch, when we got eg. pkgsrc or portage for
that sake.

BTW I love playing with DragonFlyBSD.

Mads