[OpenIndiana-discuss] gsatreamer

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 20:18:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

Today I tried to install the gstreamer plugins in my OpenIndiana box.
I managed to compile the good, the bad, and the ugly plugins with no
problem. However, totem, which uses gstreamer, refuses to play
some .avi files (xvid video and mp3 audio). The problem is that
totem via gstreamer does not recognize the additional plugins.
Instead, gstreamer invokes a strange application which is called
codeina that prompts me buy codecs!!! I unistalled codeina in the
hope that it would make it possible to play my video (OK I have
MPlayer that plays the videos with no problem, but I want to make
totem functional too). Unfortunately, this software removal did not
solve my problem. It seems that gtreamer has not been
compiled properly and now I am recompiling gstreamer in the
hope it will work properly this time. My question is whether
we can get rid of codeina and instead provide a gstreamer that
is compiled properly. This way, anyone who wants to use
the additional plugins can compile and install them. Also,
when we will get rid of the ancient gcc compiler? As I have
said in a previous message, I have compiled gcc-4.5.1 and it
works perfectly so it makes sense to make this the default
GCC compiler.

Apostolos

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece