[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana state

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Mon Dec 13 16:55:04 UTC 2010

Deano,

I can only contribute to this discussion from the perspective of:

We are in precisely the same boat, one I'd define as:

- Love openIndiana, and the direction it's taking.
- Appreciate it's a lot of work, especially for those most closely involved in the 'core effort'
- Often build a lot of our own stuff
- Would like to contribute materially to the Oi effort, by providing these packages and compiler builds/time/effort...
- Not clear how to start - more specifically, how to 'fit in' most efficiently to the existing framework, both organizational and technical.
- Recognize the project-based constraints; IE, internal guys will often feel it's much faster to 'just do it' than to spend critical time in laying out a mechanism for broader contribution.

(I guess this message, then, stands as 'support' for your position... but doesn't offer much by way of solution, except as a reiteration of an interest in helping!)

Lou Picciano