[OpenIndiana-discuss] opensolaris b134b (/release) to openindiana b148

Richard Lowe richlowe at richlowe.net
Fri Dec 24 16:37:09 UTC 2010

On Dec 24, 2010 11:07 AM, "Anil" <replicase at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cool, thanks. One more question for everyone?
>
> Is it safe to upgrade global zone from 2009.06 -> 134 -> 148, but
> upgrade the non-global zones from 2009.06 -> 148? (I am wondering if I
> can skip the intermediate upgrade to 134 for zones)

The global and non-global zones should always run matching software
versions.  I'm amazed this mismatch works.

> What exactly is the reason for the two step upgrade, what breaks?

The reason is a combination of paranoia, uncertainty with intervening
package renames and what's been tested.  Probably the upgrade would fail,
rather than it working but leaving stuff broken (it _may_ do that though,
it's just less likely)

-- Rich