[OpenIndiana-discuss] Setting up rsync server - can't enable the service

WK openindiana at familyk.org
Tue Dec 28 18:20:16 UTC 2010

I've been trying to set up an rsync server using a method that worked on OpenSolaris, but it doesn't work on OpenIndiana. I just installed OpenIndiana 148, and to set up the rsync server, I followed the recipe I worked out before:

1. Create the service manifest /var/src/manifest/network/rsync.xml
2. Create method script /lib/svc/method/rsync
3. Make the rsync config files, e.g. /etc/rsyncd.conf
4. Using svccfg, validate the service manifest
5. Use svcadm to enable the rsync service.

The process goes fine until the final step, where I find that I can't enabled the rsync service.

First, is there an easier way of doing this, or another way I should be doing it?

Assuming this technique is ok, the problem seems to be a dependency. Getting information about the service.

% svcs -l svc:/network/rsync
fmri         svc:/network/rsync:default
name         RSYNC daemon
enabled      true
state        offline
next_state   none
state_time   December 28, 2010 11:40:04 AM CST
restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
dependency   require_all/error svc:/network/loopback:default (online)
dependency   require_all/error svc:/network/physical:default (offline)
dependency   require_all/none svc:/system/filesystem/local (online)

It must be offline because /network/physical is offline. By the way, the network functions just fine. Nonetheless, getting information about /network/physical,

% svcs -l svc:/network/physical:default
fmri         svc:/network/physical:default
name         physical network interfaces
enabled      true
state        offline
next_state   none
state_time   December 28, 2010 11:44:25 AM CST
restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
dependency   exclude_all/none svc:/network/physical:nwam (online)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/install (maintenance)
dependency   require_all/none svc:/network/loopback (online)
dependency   require_all/none svc:/network/datalink-management (online)
dependency   require_all/none svc:/network/ip-interface-management (online)

This appears to be offline because svc:/netowrk/install is in maintenance mode. It was originally offline, but I tried enabling it, and it went into maintenance mode.

% svcs -l svc:/network/install
fmri         svc:/network/install:default
name         physical network interfaces install
enabled      true
state        maintenance
next_state   none
state_time   December 28, 2010 11:48:25 AM CST
logfile      /var/svc/log/network-install:default.log
restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
dependency   require_all/none svc:/network/ip-interface-management (online)

I tried "svcadm clear svc:/network/install:default" but that didn't have an effect. I see that my OpenSolaris 134 installation has no svc:/network/install.

Any suggestions how to proceed from here?