[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some questions about OpenIndiana

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 00:32:14 UTC 2010

Hi there

Long time FreeBSD user, I recently used OpenIndiana live CD to recover
a faulty zpool on which FreeBSD kept crashing.

Was pleasantly surprised on how smooth everything went.

I am now looking at migrating our file server from FreeBsd to a
Solaris based distribution.

My ZFS zpool is now at version 28 which limits me with what I can actually use.

My primary concern with OpenIndiana is how new it is, only a couple of
months old. So questions related to stabilities are obviously there.

Being a "development" version is also a worry.

To be honest, I don't care whatsoever if an OS is open source or
closed source, as long as it works well and is stable and obviously
cheap enough.

I looked at Solaris Express 11, but one thing in the FAQ worries me
related to not having access to bug fixes or updates unless I have a
contract support with Oracle; is this actually the case?

That once I install Solaris Express, should I want access to any
updates, then I must get a contract support license? ($1000 per year
for non oracle hardware)

How different to Solaris 11 is OpenIndiana ? The FAQ aims at having
binary compatibility with Solaris and make a reference of CentOS vs
RHEL.

Needless to say I'm very confused with the current situation as to
OpenSolaris vs Solaris, all the various forks etc.

Ultimately, what I'm after right now is something stable and
performant, that can read my zpool v28 and supports kernel cifs and
that I will easily be able to integrate with our LDAP / Kerberos
backend.

Thank you !

And if this is not the right place to ask, please let me know where I
should go.

Jean-Yves