[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some questions about OpenIndiana

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 13:43:54 UTC 2010

Hi

thank you for your answer..
On 1 January 2011 00:06, Edward Ned Harvey <openindiana at nedharvey.com> wrote:
> zpool 28 is the latest open-source version.  Basically your options are
> nexenta, openindiana, and freebsd.
>        sol11exp has zpool 31
>        nexenta has zpool 28

Are you sure about nexenta ?

The only reference I can find about nexenta is version 26 and that's
in their forum, otherwise it's v22 (it's using b134)

>        openindiana has zpool 28
>        freebsd has zpool 28
>        opensolaris b134 has zpool 22
>        solaris 10u9 has zpool 22
>

> You could always use sol11 exp.  It's only legal for development etc
> purposes (read the license agreement) but you could certainly download and
> start using it and see if it suits your needs.

nexenta looked like a good alternative, the flexibility of ubuntu
(which I'm also familiar with) with a Solaris kernel

> As you can see, zpool in sol 11 express is 31, while everyone else lags
> behind at 28.  That's not going to change any time soon.

Yes, I saw that.

The only reason I upgraded my pool was to get the ability to remove
the log device, if I had known how it was going to limit me in the
future, I would have added a -V 19 to the zpool upgrade command :(

> So yes, there are substantial differences, and it's likely only to become a
> wider gap moving forward.
>
> Larry wants another yacht.

I sailed past his yacht once... that was a big thing :)
> Your best bet, for now, would be either nexenta, freebsd, or sol11express.
> Openindiana is good and will be better, but as mentioned, rather immature
> for now.

This is also what I'm getting at as a conclusion.

Unfortunately, at this stage it looks like nexenta is also out of the
equation, unless there is v28 support somewhere, even as beta. I'm
guessing with v28 being out for quite a while now, it has to be rather
stable.

JY