[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Nov 1 16:42:51 UTC 2010

Edward Martinez wrote:

>  On 11/01/10 01:41, Michael wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 07:07, Edward Martinez<mindbender_1 at live.com>
>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>   Whatever is left, they already lost their top devs,
>> maybe the people who are left aren't the "stars" you've come to
>> revere, but there's tons of top grade engineers left in the Solaris
>> organisation, and you'd do well not to belittle their efforts.
>>
>> Michael
>     I'm sure the remaining  are top grade engineers, but   the
> following  are  the names of the   people that have already left oracle
> and they the ones that  invented
>      many of solaris 10 and beyond tech: SMF,Dtrace,ZFS,etc
>
>       Ian Murdock
>       Tim Bray
>       Simon Phipps

All great guys, but none of those 3 worked on Solaris engineering.  As
far as I know, the only code from any of them in any Solaris release is
the bonnie i/o benchmarking tool from Tim, which was an open source tool
he wrote before he worked at Sun.

>       I don't know if the other devs have the skills to invent something
> like: ZFS,dtrace,etc, because i don't know who they are

Because you only pay attention to media coverage, not the mailing lists or
code base.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com