[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 Express

BM bogdan.maryniuk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 01:18:37 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 1:32 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos
<asyropoulos at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> this discussion is pointless - imo.
>
> I totally agree. IMHO, we should not care about what happens
> to Oracle.

Errrm, we actually should. :-)

If you excuse me few ¥¥¥ in current point-less discussion, then since
Snorcle is making their closed Solaris in a fashion like "A boot
loader to their database" (© one great man, somewhere on IRC), then
people will realize that this distribution is not really a generic
purpose OS and also is so impotent and limited that is just a steaming
pile of garbage without upgrading it to a real Solaris for lots of
money. It will take time, of course, but eventually what they (people)
will do next? Right, they will start looking for a free *similar*
alternatives. Where they will go? Right, they will come right here and
download our "Dogs food" (© another great man, somewhere on IRC).
But... surprise! we are on Illumos and Illumos is a fork. Fork, which
has (and will have more and more) differences than Snorcle's
handicraft. Then  people will quickly recognize that they are totally
OK on PostgreSQL in most cases which is ~97.8% of all world projects
(apparently, in Germany folks already throwing away Oracle DB
replacing with PgSQL, as far as I know), they will use PostgreSQL and
OI or other versions of Illumos-based, I think.

*Therefore* we have to care, I think, just type of "care" is
different: make *our* distro better and make sure it is not "Dogs
food" anymore. :-) Actually, I am happy that Oracle is doing it wrong
— things will be better for Illumos and for OI. Not right tomorrow,
but with a time — yes. Also I think Illumos will be better Solaris,
for sure. Just maybe they have to not bloody fight between each other,
but encourage instead, which is not really OI's mission to be a
referee there. :-)

^D

--
Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.