[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB devices with "ZeroCD(tm)" feature support.

Carlos Almeida xtrondo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 15:18:09 UTC 2010

  one ISP from Portugal wants to add official support for OpenIndiana to
their new device based on anyData ADU-520a, so they ask me to check if
the device is currently supported, however this is another device with
the "ZeroCD(tm)" feature, so when you plug it,  defaults to a USB device
class 8  (Storage), in place of USB device class 2 (communications
device), I had this same problem on my own device some months ago a
Huawei E169, but on this one is possible to disable the  SD micro card
with an AT command, and after that the device works with usbsacm(7D)
driver without a problem.
  As far I understand this kind of devices are currently a pain to work
out-of-the-box on OpenIndiana,  Linux seems to handle this with
something they call usb-mode-switch, so its possible by udev rules
switch from class 8 to class 2 device and vice-versa, also another way
seems to be by using an USB blacklist, and the storage part of the
device is black listed, how can we use in OpenIndiana this kind of
devices ? maybe we can implement a way to handle this kind of devices, I
really like to check if this anyData ADU-520a works with usbsacm(7D), I
also understand that maybe this is more a issue for Illumos guys, but I
bet most of them also read this list.

  Regards,
  Carlos Almeida,