[OpenIndiana-discuss] Longterm Support? And Oracle Java legal to use on OpenIndiana?

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:59:54 UTC 2010

Oh yeah, right.  I listened to that recent interview with Gosling.  I
think it the Java issue was mentioned in there. That gist of it was that
Java isn't free; that Oracle now owns the patent on the technology and
are using it for evil -- i.e. trolling around predatorially suing people
to try to get money and establish precedent of power; hence the Google
lawsuit (sorry to use that plaguing word again) and hence Gosling's
"Java: Just Free It" campaign.  What Sun (thank goodness) did manage to
do, before it was too late, was to GPL the official Sun implementation
of Java.  So I think (and IANAL) that means we're at least indemnified
from suit if we use the real Java and not some knock off implementation.
  Weird, isn't it?  They're actually in a position to slash and burn a
massive segment of the world's technology stack.  *Surely* they're not
going to pull an OpenSolaris on *all* this stuff though.