[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 14:50:12 UTC 2010

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Frequently+Asked+Questions#FrequentlyAskedQuestions-IsOpenIndianaadesktoporaserveroperatingsystem%3F

"Is OpenIndiana a desktop or a server operating system?

As a clone of OpenSolaris, the answer is both: OpenIndiana will be a
general-purpose operating system. However ... We intend to make
OpenIndiana more suitable for use on servers, for example by
introducing a minimal/server install option to the Caiman installer."

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Frequently+Asked+Questions#FrequentlyAskedQuestions-WhyanotherOpenSolarisdistributionwhenotherslikeNexenta%2CBeleniX%26SchilliXexist%3F

"Why another OpenSolaris distribution when others like Nexenta,
BeleniX & SchilliX exist?

... Our aim is to become the de-facto OpenSolaris distribution
installed on production servers where security and bug fixes are
required free of charge."

>From the OpenIndiana Website ... but maybe I'm reading this wrong.

Jon