[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Thu Nov 4 19:45:05 UTC 2010

Hello,

please stop top-posting and quote accordingly.

* Nathan Evans <ndickinson.evans at gmail.com> [2010-11-04 15:44]:
> I think Guido, our friend Jonathan means that not unlike alot of other
> distrobutions of UNIX-like
> operating systems, it might be a good idea to create a Desktop and A server
> version.
>
> This is not a horrible idea, like the fedora/Redhat projects respectively.
>
> However the SXDE/Solaris model functions in that respect for the server.

So far I have not seen any argument why this might be a good idea
and who is going to sustain maintaining two stable versions.
Solaris Express also never was a Desktop version of Solaris.

> we'll leave it up to the IOGC, we can use this thread for suggestions and
> hopefully they read them.

If you are talking about the Governing Council that has not been
established yet, and apart from that what gets decided and done
largely depends on the people willing to work on it.

--
Guido Berhoerster