[OpenIndiana-discuss] I figured this deserved a separate thread

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Fri Nov 5 00:17:59 UTC 2010

I think this is  a very important conversation to have (and that is why
I have been lurking all day).

To me OI/OS/Solaris's major advantage is the uptime and predictability
(when I sit down at a sol10 derivative I know what to expect, and you
can expect me to type 'bash'), and ZFS.  Out of those three I would say
#1 ZFS, #2 Uptime, #3 predictability.

What is missing?  Packages and updates!!!!  When I suddenly decide to
try KDE, I want to be able to do it.  When I want to install R and R
commander or RKward I want to do it.  When I hear about Oracle and want
to move my MYSQL databases to postgresql I want to just be able to do it
(well I could do that, but I am really busy at the moment, but then
there is the CF connection on their end that may not play well with
postgresql...).

So to be constructive, as soon as I get some time (after Christmas) I
would like to make sure that R, R commander, and when KDE comes online,
RKward packages work and are up to date for OI.  That is the least (and
probably the most) I can do for this great project.  I hope may other
people do the same for their programs of choice and need.  I think that
will make OI exactly what everyone wants.   Luckily the real guts of the
OS already exceed anyone's expectations.  Particularly on
multi-processor multi-core massive ram boxes.